Sunday, 3 July 2011

Race for Life 2011!

So today, I took part in my first ever Race for Life event, along with my friends Grace and Kelci, where we took to the fields of Blackheath in South East London to raise money to beat cancer.

I ask myself after the event why I had never taken part in such an event before! Race for Life is something I had always wanted to do for such a long time and had never felt my energy levels were up to scratch.
Hence why last February I took part in the Macmillan 6 mile walk with Nathan. The reason why I chose Macmillan was simply because the month before then my Great Uncle had passed away with prostate cancer, and his treatment and care were supported by Macmillan nurses.

I then decided to volunteer at a Race for Life event, shortly after my AS exams I went to Finsbury Park to volunteer and assist at the Race for Life event. It was an amazing day to be part of and seemed so inspiring I just knew I had to take part myself.

I didn't run the whole race (it was a 5K race) - but I performed a combination of jogging and power-walking through the event. I managed to complete the race in 40 minutes.
The day itself is so emotional. The flourish of pink that you see is outstanding. It involves over 13,000 girls of all different ages, sizes and abilities, getting together, for one purpose. To beat the demon that is cancer.
And I am so proud of myself that I have contributed so much money to that amazing cause. I haven't totalled up all of my donations yet, but I am working my way towards £500 and will update my blog when I do!

Here are some photos to see you guys off!

Me showing off my fairy wings and wand!
Myself and my best friend Grace (and yes, she is wearing a wonder woman outfit, too cool!)
After completing the race, Grace, Kelci and I proudly display our medals!
My best friends came to give me some moral support! From left to right - Grace, Matt, Kelci, Luke, Me, Lucy and Nathan!

I hope you have all had a wonderful day whatever you have been doing.
A very pleased yet achy Amy is signing out now!

1 comment:

  1. aww thanks for sharing those pics - theyre lovely. Well done you xx

    ReplyDelete