Monday, 13 August 2012

Reflections on the Olympic games, and my own personal dreams

I, like most people, was glued to the Olympics for the 16 days of its showing. Being 1) from Great Britain and 2) from London, this was something that was a once in a lifetime opportunity for us, especially those like me who live in East London, 15 minutes away from the Olympic Park!

I was somewhat sceptical at first and a little frustrated of all the coverage before the games, about how those who lived close to the Olympic site were going to have journeys disrupted, post arriving late, not be able to get to work, and once more, the media put a massive, pessimistic view of London and their ability to do anything, on the map. Yet of course, we delivered, train journeys were for the most part successful and there was much less disruption to the lives of Londoners that I ever thought there would be!

A few things stood out for me throughout these two weeks of fantastic sporting achievement for Great Britain. Many of our athletes I looked upon with extreme admiration as they fought their hardest for Olympic Medals. No doubt, my favourite athlete of the whole competition, and one who I have been following for a long time now is the beautiful, Jessica Ennis:

Jessica Ennis, in my eyes, is the epitome of hard work equalling success. You could see the dedication in her eyes and her drive to succeed in her heart. A multi-talented individual, of course, a heptathlete, meaning she was successful in seven different events, breaking her own record in the 100m hurdles. She was by no doubt my favourite athlete of the competition and I feel so happy for her, it was no less than what she deserved, 100%.

The point of my blog today was to reinstate the idea that Lord Coe discussed last night at the closing ceremony, about how the Olympics have, especially this year, inspired a generation. Hearing the stories about athletes starting out with nothing or never even trying out an Olympic sport until later on in life, those who have had tremendous stories of bravery and courage and have fought through battles to succeed, even if they don't receive a gold medal, the ability to even participate in the Olympics at all. What an opportunity and an achievement to tell the children later on in life!

I love sport, and I love watching sport, but I am physically not as fit as an athlete at all, and know that and feel just as content supporting the athletes rather than aspiring unrealistically to be one myself. But what the Olympics has inspired in me is to inspire others.

I get my A-level results on Thursday, and of course whilst, as every 18 (or 19 in my case) year old is feeling at the moment, I am a little bit nervous, I know full well that if I get setback by the results and don't get into University, I know that I worked my hardest and that there are always other opportunities. Life doesn't end at exam results. I get so many people asking me what I want to do or what I want to be when I am older and realistically, at 19, I don't think it's right that I should know that yet.

What I do want to do, however, is to inspire others, like these athletes have in the past few weeks. And if I can do that, I think I will have lived my life to the fullest and been the best that I can be. And that's more important to me, working my way towards full recovery, than getting A's or a first in anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment