Monday, 10 June 2013

What I've been up to

I'm deprived of blog topics at the moment so thought I'd take a few minutes to share with you what I've been up to recently.

I'll start with today - where some of you may or may not know that I attended the funeral of my dear cousin Kevin, who passed away from a very short battle with lung cancer on the 30th May. I wrote about Kevin's diagnosis back in December on my blog, but many of you will undoubtedly know that no matter how much you try to prepare for the death of someone, it still acts as a huge shock. We attended a beautiful service today, where my uncle and his sister are also buried. Kevin was a huge lover of Volkswagens so the coffin was an actual Volkswagen which was so unique and special - one of our family members also got a garland of flowers in the shape of the Volkswagen logo as well. There was an extremely touching tribute speech where I was mentioned and it really hit me hard at that point. After the service we spent the rest of the day remembering him alongside my family, laughing and giggling over random things my Aunt was saying, and shedding a tear or two.

I am running the 2013 Race for Life in his memory as well as for all victims of cancer and their loved ones - if you can I'd love it for you all to donate here :)

In other news, I've been essentially a social butterfly for the last three weeks or so. Here's just a short snippet of what I've been up to!

Best friend Lucy's 21st birthday!




We also celebrated my best friend Becky's 21st too!



And Friday night - where not all the pictures are up (probably a good thing) - insane night in with my favourite people:



And finally, last night - celebrating my boyfriend and I's 4 year anniversary:


So overall, it's been a good, fun month, complete with drinking and good friends. Besides struggling with some extreme anxiety alongside other things, life is good.
In other aspects of good news, I've been accepted onto the Youth Panel at the mental health charity Time to Change! This means I will be participating in more events and fights to tackle stigma and discrimination against mental health problems and helping Time to Change work towards positive ways of working with young people and reviewing materials to ensure they are accessible for young people. I'm very excited to be on board!
I'm also an ambassador for the charity BodyGossip and will be taking part in some exciting things for them soon too - watch this space!

That's a main rundown of my life right now, combine that with work and generally trying to sort out my mental health/life in general, things are pretty busy. Fingers crossed I'm going to get some sort of clear head and a proper sort of schedule in place soon!

Take care!

2 comments:

  1. That sounds busy, though I'm sorry for you're cousin. Good luck with the race! That's a great thing to do in memory of him. I've never heard of Time to Change, and didn't know bodygossip had an ambassador thing. I've really been wondering about ways to be involved in recovery other than blogging. If you could post some more information that would be amazing. Take care hon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can visit the Time to Change website at www.time-to-change.org.uk - and at least every charity that you know or have heard of will have ways to get involved with the work that they do, just visit their website and look at their volunteering/jobs section. I've done work for YoungMinds and BeatBullying in the past, it's great! x

    ReplyDelete